Booting your computer into safe mode is sometimes a necessary step to remove malware and viruses along with just general troubleshooting. Sometimes you may also need to uninstall programs inside safe mode if for instance they are getting blocked from being uninstalled in your regular windows environment. In this guide we will walk through how to boot your computer into safe mode and do the proper edits to allow it to uninstall applications. This guide is focused on the Windows 7 operating system.
We have a video guide available underneath the instructions if you prefer to follow along with that. So let’s get started!
- Restart your computer and as soon as it shuts down and starts powering back on hit the F8 key repeatedly. An Advanced Boot Options menu will appear. Go down to Safe Mode and hit Enter
- Once the computer is booted. Hit the Windows and R key. A little run box will appear type regedit into it.
- The registry editor will appear. You will need to navigate down the hierarchy on the right side down these folders. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\
- Once there right click on the Minimal folder. Click New and then Key
- For the name put MSIServer
- Once the key is created double click on the default value and change the value data to Service
- That’s it for the registry. Next click on the Start button and search for cmd. When the cmd icon appears right click on it and hit Run as Administrator
- When the command prompt comes up type in sc start msiserver and hit enter.
That’s it! Now you can go into your control panel and uninstall whatever you need. The video guide can be found below. We hope this was helpful!