The search.strtpoint.com homepage is a symptom of being infected with the InstallMac adware, which is related to Genieo. This Mac adware uses several different which are set as the default homepages in popular browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Safari to infected users. This guide will walk you through how to remove search.strtpoint.com adware from your Mac and prevent infections from happening again.
First it is important to understand how you may have been infected with this type of adware. It is possible either you or someone who uses your computer downloaded a third-party piece of software that came with a custom third-party installer that is capable of installing adware. Download portals and untrusted third-party sites will use the install process as a means to make money for every download. Many people think download portals are 100% safe and trusted, but they practice very gray-hat advertising and are associated with distributing malware and adware.
You must download software ONLY directly from the manufacturer. A good example I like to use is if you want to download Adobe Flash Player, download it from Adobe.com and nowhere else. Other parties will attempt to make money off of redistributing someone else’s product – unfortunately that’s the nature of the business.
The image above shows what the search.strtpoint.com homepage looks like. You will see this page first thing after opening your web browser if you are infected with the InstallMac adware. This adware is more annoying than anything, but it can also compromise your privacy. Symptoms include slow browser, pop-ups, unwanted ads, and changes default settings in browsers such as a new homepage, new default search, and new default tab page. Removing this thing can be a pain, so we put together a few simple steps that you can follow to remove it from your Mac entirely.
Manually Remove search.strtpoint.com Adware
The most obvious symptom of this infection is the changes to the browser so we will address those first.
- Open Safari and go to Safari in the menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down
- Make sure all boxes are checked and hit Reset
If you are using Safari 8, there is no longer a “Reset Safari” option. Please scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the automatic removal step.
Reset Google Chrome
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- Under the section “Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Copy/paste this into the navigation bar: about:support
- Click Refresh Firefox, then click Refresh Firefox again
Automatically Remove search.strtpoint.com Adware
1. Download and install MacKeeper to detect and remove malicious files. This is a simple piece of software designed to locate and eliminate the source of the infection.
2. Check for malicious software and infections by going to System Scan and beginning the scanning procedure.
3. When the app returns a list of detected threats, fix them by clicking on each button. This should successfully remove search.strtpoint.com adware and any other infections that may have been present on your Mac.