This guide will explain how to remove InstallMac adware from your Mac computer. We will also walk you through how to use a popular anti-malware tool capable of removing threats and protecting your Mac from infections.
InstallMac is a popular piece of adware distributed by a company known as Genieo. This piece of adware is one of the few custom installers for Mac that advertises and distributes popular Mac-friendly adware. You will commonly see InstallMac associated with third-party download portals, pop-up advertisements, and misleading banner advertisements.
InstallMac is capable of severely slowing down your web browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, etc…) and serving disruptive advertisements in places where advertisements usually do not exist. Symptoms associated with InstallMac are changed homepage (see how to remove search.strtpoint.com adware), pop-up advertisements, various different text links, and other ads displayed inside of your browser.
InstallMac has no real benefit of being on your computer as it is designed solely to make money from you, so we advise you remove InstallMac adware immediately. We put together a guide, so please read on below to find out how you can do this and secure your Mac.
Manually Remove InstallMac Adware
The most obvious symptom of this infection is the changes to the browser so we will address those first.
- Open Safari and go to Safari in the menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down
- Make sure all boxes are checked and hit Reset
If you are using Safari 8, there is no longer a “Reset Safari” option. Please scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the automatic removal step.
Reset Google Chrome
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- Under the section “Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Copy/paste this into the navigation bar: about:support
- Click Refresh Firefox, then click Refresh Firefox again
Automatically Remove InstallMac Adware
1. Download and install MacKeeper to detect and remove malicious files. This is a simple piece of software designed to locate and eliminate the source of the infection.
2. Check for malicious software and infections by going to System Scan and beginning the scanning procedure.
3. When the app returns a list of detected threats, fix them by clicking on each button. This should successfully remove InstallMac adware and any other infections that may have been present on your Mac.