GetSearch.net is a new search hijack product being distributed throughout the internet. It is classified as a potentially unwanted program, search hijacker, homepage hijacker, and new tab hijacker. GetSearch.net takes over the homepage, new tab, and search pages in all major browsers Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
The GetSearch.net malware is typically distributed through download portals, and freeware programs that are bundled with third-party offers. The average user will have difficulty reverting their browser settings back to default settings after GetSearch.net is installed.
If your homepage has recently been set to GetSearch.net, then the GetSearch.net software has definitely been installed on your computer. It is possible that you downloaded software from an untrusted third-party. It is also possible you recently downloaded free software from a download portal such as Softonic or Download.com
MalwareRescue recommends using caution when downloading software – always use the trusted manufacturer’s website to download software. Advertisers have resorted to creating fake misleading websites that claim your computer software is out of date. These pages are used as a front to distribute malware, such as GetSearch.net, to unsuspecting visitors.
To completely remove GetSearch.net from your computer and revert your browser’s settings back to default, please follow the instructions outlined below.
Automatically remove GetSearch.net homepage malware
Download and install SpyHunter to detect and remove malicious files. This a a simple piece of software designed to locate and eliminate the source of the infection.
- Install SpyHunter by double-clicking the downloaded file. Follow the on-screen instructions
- SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect threats
Reset your homepage back to default
Remove GetSearch.net homepage for Google Chrome
- On the top right hand corner, click into the menu and go to Settings
- Click set pages and set to Google.com or your preferred search engine
Remove GetSearch.net homepage for Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, Click on the Firefox button and Select Options
- Select the General panel
- In the startup box, click Restore to Default
Remove GetSearch.net homepage for Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools button and then click Internet Options
- On the General tab, under Home page, enter the URL you want to set as your homepage.
- Click Apply, and click OK.
Manually remove GetSearch.net homepage malware from browsers
To disable and Remove GetSearch.net homepage malware from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, please follow the directions:
Remove GetSearch.net homepage malware for Mozilla Firefox
- On the menu bar, click on Tools menu and then click ‘Add-ons’ — the add-ons manager tab will now open.
- In the add-ons manager tab, select ‘Extensions or Appearance’
- Select any unknown add-on(s) you wish to disable
- Click ‘Remove’ button
- Click Restart now
Remove GetSearch.net homepage malware for Google Chrome
- Open the Chrome menu on the top right hand side of the browser.
- Click on Tools
- Click on Extensions
- Click on the trash can icon next to each extension
- Click Remove on the dialog
Remove GetSearch.net homepage malware for Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools button and click on Manage add-ons
- Under Show, click on All add-ons, and then do one of the following
- Click on Disable for each add-on
Clean GetSearch.net homepage malware with Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is powerful anti-malware technology that detects and removes all signs of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, PUPs, spyware, and much more.
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware here and run the installer
- Follow the installation wizard to complete the setup process and click Finish
- On the first tab labelled Scanner select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to scan, detect, and remove Do-search.com Malware files
- Malwarebytes will now scan your computer for malicious files
- When the scan has finished, click on the Show results button
- The results will be displayed on the screen. Make sure everything is checked and hit the Removed Selected button